The Methodist Episcopal Church in Edinboro was organized in 1829 by the Rev. Job Wilson. The membership consisted of one full member and five probationary members.
The first church building was a one-story building on Market St. The frame of the structure was erected at a cost of $75 and the people from the church hauled stone for the foundation and completed the building. This church had a double door with a center aisle from door to pulpit and straight benches without backs on either side of the aisle. That building was sold and eventually torn down for the erection of the present McDonald's Restaurant. A piece of large beam and square nails from this building are on display in our narthex.
Our second church home was build on Meadville Street in 1863. The interior had two aisles running east and west with short pews on the north and south sides. There was a large heating stove on each side of the church. Renovations were made in 1929 and 1942. The Edinboro Methodist Church, which was formerly a charge with the McKean Methodist Church, got its own pastor in 1958.
Plans for a new church building began in 1959. The congregation purchased a 3.4 acre site on High Street which formerly housed the classrooms, cafeteria and athletic field of the Edinboro High School. The new church building was consecrated in 1968 and the mortgage was retired in 1981.
A new parsonage on Hilltop Road was purchased in 1982. By 1986, with a membership of over 600, a long range planning committee began to study issues related to future building expansion.In the fall of 1990 a formal building committee was established with 1995 targeted for construction. Ground was broken in June, 1995- with the same antique plow that had been used 32 years before for the current building. The first worship service was held in the new sanctuary in November 1995.
In 1997, a strategic planning team was formed to develop a new long-range plan focused on worship, Christian education, fellowship, service of Christian outreach and administration. Staff was added in 1999 and 2001. The church building debt retirement was accomplished in 2001 - four years ahead of schedule.
Edinboro United Methodist Church continues to meet the changing needs of its members and actively addresses the inevitable challenges that change brings. In response, contemporary worship and music styles are being incrementally adjusted, forming "blended" Sabbath services. Currently, our members are engaged in exciting ministries of education, missions, music, youth, campus ministry, ecumenical and other programs and outreaches.
It is our fervent desire and prayer that this congregation, through the power of the Holy Spirit, will continue into the future with the faithfulness in worship, witness, study and service that have been the hallmarks of its prior 190 years of serving God together.
Rev. Job Wilson
The United Methodist Church was created in 1968, but Methodism dates back to John and Charles Wesley who sought to spread the Methodist movement they began as student small group at Oxford. At about the same time, people like Philip Otterbein and Martin Boehm were leading similar movements that helped people grow in their faith. Those two strands of Christianity came together decades later to form The United Methodist Church.
Follow the link below and you will find stories and useful links to help you learn more about the roots of our denomination and trace developments that led us to today.
Copyright © 2021 Edinboro United Methodist Church - All Rights Reserved.